Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Honey Harvest & the new belt buckle

Garet is now the proud owner of his very own belt buckle!  He has worn that thing everyday since he got it!!  He says it makes him stronger and faster:) What a silly guy.  We sure love him!

 Saturday was the big Honey harvest day!  This is our first year having bees, so we've been learning a lot.  Good thing we have some friends help us out!  We rented the extractor together.  They used it on Friday night and then we used it early Saturday morning.  It went pretty smooth and we learned a few tips/tricks that will help us next year.  Jared only got stung twice removing the supers from the hive.  He is a trooper!First you have to cut the caps off with a hot knife.

 Then you put the frames in this extractor and spin until all the honey comes out.


 Then you open the valve and let the honey run out.  We filtered it througha wire/mesh strainer, into a five gallon bucket.  We ended up with about 5 gallons or 60 lbs. of honey!  Yummy!  Now I am going to try making chapstick and hand cream out of the beeswax. 
 The kids each got to pick out a honey bear from the bee store.  They love honey!

Here is a video of Jared getting the frames out of the hive.
Another honey extracting video.


5 comments:

Kandie said...

Soooo stinking cool!!

lemon twigs said...

Good job guys! I LOVE making cosmetics with beeswax - you'll have tons of fun (o: I have some recipes if you want them: lip balm, tub truffles, solid perfume, lotion, lotion bars etc. I have other recipes that don't use beeswax too if you want them like bath fizzers and other bath things. I'm so glad you guys are having fun with your bees!

Melissa said...

Mmmm, honey! Way to go, harvesters.

Andrew & Carlene Wood said...

Andy wants to know what you are going to do with all that honey! (Hint...hint..wink...wink :) JK) But I do want to taste some of your home grown honey! I think we might just have to jump on that bee/honey bandwagon! I by an organic face wash that is made of honey and a few other things...honey is very moisturizing! I love Garet...he definitely has been bigger and faster lately...maybe that buckle is really doing something:)

Krista Neil said...

That is a pretty fancy belt-buckle :) That is so neat! I bet your kids were enthrawled. What a fun new adventure :)